Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Monuments

Right across the street from my Days Inn in Pensacola is a large-ish monument to the Confederate war dead. I forgot in planning this trip, and I continue to forget as I make my way across the country, just how strange it is to be someplace you've never been before. Things surprise you. On my way from Chicago to Knoxville my bus stopped in Indianapolis for a couple of hours early in the morning. I staggered out to get food, and found myself confronted with an enormous monument to Indiana's war dead. It was larger than I could have ever imagined. I had no idea. And unless you've seen it, you can't imagine it either.

I wish I could do a better job of describing how things look. On the way from Mobile to Pensacola we drove for a bit along the water, and it looked so strange to me. I think just because I'm not used to water being flat up against the land like that, but I couldn't quite figure out why it looked wrong.

It's raining here. The wind was pretty fierce when I went out to get dinner, then it started raining hard when I was eating, then it was calm again when I walked back to the motel, then it came down in a big whoosh again, now it's raining but not that hard. I can only pick up the wireless if I take my computer outside, so I'm skulking outside somebody else's room (with a cat in the window) under the covered walkway.

7 comments:

EFD said...

By the way, this is why I'm not necessarily rooting for the Cavaliers. In the restaurant, I asked the waiter to turn the tv to the game, and he asked me who I was rooting for. He said he was rooting for the Cavaliers. I said I was a Lakers fan, and he said, "Oh, I like the Lakers." Pause. "But only for Kobe."

Mission Control said...

Oh, whatever. You love Kobe.

jackpot said...

Pensacola is the home of Krispy Kreme, Roy Jones Jr (cockfighting!), and assholes.

EFD said...

You make it sound so appealing. Also, there's a dog track.
Of course I love Kobe. I own two Kobe replica jerseys. But that's because he's a Laker, not the other way around.

Unknown said...

Grrrr, I can't believe you didn't tell me about this....Had to hear about it from unidentified third source. It hurts, to be left out like this. You know I'm sensitive. [sob]

Now I have to spend all day catching up on your posts from day one, and how am I going to bill for THAT?

I got peeps in Florida, in case you need a hug.

Unknown said...

OK, done catching up....Love it! Great article. Miss you so much. By the way, if you start moving your way up the eastern seaboard, I've got peeps in N.C. (near Raleigh) that will hug you, too.

Now, I've actually taken the Greyhound from NYC to Florida, and can relate two things that may be of interest: 1) I like the reverse position way of sleeping on a bus previously mentioned (but I think that that's because my back gets stiff from sitting so long); 2) do NOT get off in Fayetteville, NC. There's nothing good there. Trust me.

EFD said...

Miss Mirna! I'm counting on getting my hugs in New York, for goodness sake.