Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The End

According to the Rand McNally trip calculator I covered somewhere in excess of 6000 miles. According to the Greyhound website, it would have cost me $970.50 to do this individual ticket by individual ticket.

When I was maybe 14 I spent a lot of time in comic book stores. I had a family member who was a collector type. I enjoyed it, and it made my acquisitive impulses kick in hard. So in the 99 cent bin I looked around. I found U.S. 1. It's a comic about a trucker driven by the tragic loss of his (trucker) brother Jeff to a villain known as the Highwayman. It features aliens, mind-controlled trucks, and a wide variety of bad puns. It's also a maxi-series; I assume the good folks at Marvel were not ready to permanently invest in a trucker comic. 12 issues; over and done. Without trying to compare Thirty Day Bus Pass to U.S. 1, because that would be ridiculous and prideful, I like to think of it as a little maxi-series of its own, with a future that now consists of Incredible She-Hulk guest appearences.

This, rather than Mission Control's previous post, is the official end of TDBP.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you might have hijacked the bus on Day Thirty. Issued communiques and so on.

Two Os in Goose said...

I think it is appropriate on this, the last day of TDBP, and so close to the July 4 holiday, to remember the words of that patriot, President Thomas Whitmore:

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind. Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist. And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

Mission Control said...

Could we have some commentary about the meaning of the cryptic new subtitle of the blog? Many thanks.