Sunday, June 3, 2007

Confessions, Limitations, And The Big Beating Heart Of The Midwest

All right, all right. I'm soft. I freely concede it. Mission Control hinted as much in its last post, and I am pleased to verify this.

As I staggered into the Midwest, I found myself calling old friends, hitting people up for rides, laundry facilities, places to stay. I went from St. Paul to Chicago. Why Chicago? I have friends there. It's shameful. I had hit my limit of being a ghost passing through; I wanted to see people. People I knew who had to like me. That kind of thing.

In St. Paul, I found myself explaining again to someone that I don't drive. It's a funny thing to explain. The damage you can do with a car unnerves me. That kind of power fills me with fear; the fear, in turn, makes me a worse driver. And at a certain point I stopped trying to fight that. I figured driving's not great for the environment anyway, so why not just take buses, walk, arrange my life around my own limitations. It's worked out ok -- someone did once cite my non-driver status as a reason for not wanting to date me, but that wasn't too big of a deal.

Those two thoughts are related because they both pertain to my softness. Which in turn allows me to note just how much I've enjoyed the hospitality I've received.

In Milwaukee a group of transvestites got on the bus, headed for Chicago. This caused a certain amount of fear among some of my fellow passengers.

4 comments:

chanchow said...

I wholly understand your need to see people. People you know and people who like you. People who can drive you places and make you coffee. It can get lonely out there.

jackpot said...

Travelling by yourself can be great. Or it can be the balls. Here's hoping it's more great. And you're not that soft - you didn't buy one of those little velveteen neck pillows, did you? You swim in the pool even if it's not heated, right? Even if it's cloudy out?

Two Os in Goose said...

Are you planning on wending your way to DC? There is a bar here I think you would like. Its called the "Irish Channel" and its connected to the Red Roof Inn. They have Shephard's Pie, and also beer.

EFD said...

As far as the swimming goes: remember, I don't put my head underwater. So I don't know how much of a gut check that is.
Seeing people has, in fact, been really lovely.