Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Think I'll Just Sit Here . . .

I stopped working on May 4. I had a plan: I would buy a 30 day Greyhound pass and travel around. It would be a voyage of self-discovery. I would learn things. I would become better and stronger.

That is still the plan. What I forgot was that I had jury duty this week. It is the sort of jury duty where you call in every night and they tell you that you don't have to come in. It's a little anti-climactic. So this week has been a voyage of self-discovery of another sort. I have plunged deep into my own inertia and laziness. I have not cleaned my apartment or organized my papers or alphabetized my books. I have not learned to roller skate. I did sleep 17 hours yesterday, and enjoyed every minute of it.

But there is still a plan. May 22, next Tuesday, I will depart. I will send postcards from the road, which may or may not be scanned into and posted on this very blog.

They will probably be illegible, and they will probably be boring. I do not know how much ground I will cover. It is entirely possible that I will get to Arizona (I'm in Los Angeles now) stop, have a milkshake, and turn around and go home. It is not impossible that I will stay in my apartment the whole time and lie to people about my location. Past experience (I have taken Greyhound from Oakland to Eugene and Amtrak from Los Angeles to New York) suggests that most of my experiences will revolve around physical discomfort and irritation with my fellow passengers.

2 comments:

Octopus Grigori said...

Past experience ... suggests that most of my experiences will revolve around physical discomfort and irritation with my fellow passengers.

The bus is like life, then. It's like the Buddha said: life is suffering, especially on a Greyhound coach to Reno equipped with video monitors playing "Free Willy 3".

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you tell me that you had a blog, Emma. I learned it from Jon Wiener. Still, jealousy aside, I enjoyed reading it. Joyce