Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Should I Feel Bad?

So I wound up staying in Missoula for two days. Not because I was so entranced by Missoula (although it is very lovely with the hills and the rivers and you can see people standing knee-deep in Clark's Fork fishing), but out of sheer unholy inertia.

The bus I was supposed to take at Kalispell left at 8 a.m. I wanted to go to Kalispell because it would bring me near to Glacier National Park, which seemed like a good thing to see. But yesterday morning at 8 a.m. I refused to move. Instead, I lay in bed and watched tv. I suppose it's one way to celebrate Memorial Day. At 6 I staggered out into the streets and went and got dinner. The only conversation I had all day was with the guy who asked what I was eating. I said the meatloaf sandwich; he said, "It looks good."

It started to rain again, so I walked back in the light drizzle and stopped at Safeway to buy an orange. It was slightly, but only slightly too cold, even in my motel room. Which is cheap, and not unsafe, but, frankly, not very nice.

This morning again I overslept, missing the one bus to Kalispell. But I'm ready to move. There's a 3:30 bus that will take me through North Dakota and all the way in to Minneapolis. I don't know where I'll get off, but probably not before North Dakota. I will look out the window and wish that I was stopped in all the places we pass through, knowing perfectly well that in those places I would feel lost and bewildered and weighed down with my stuff.

Until then I will be in the Liberty Lanes bowling alley.

6 comments:

hithere said...

answer, since you asked: no, you should not feel bad. you have No Obligations on this trip, remember? The great thing about places like Kalispell is that they stay there and will be happy to be visited at some future point. Do you remember the birthday card from Leslie that sat on the refridgerator for years, "You are where you should be, doing what you should be doing. Otherwise you would be somewhere else, doing something else"? I bought a mirror with the phases of the moon on it today, too expensive, but I liked it. Same principle applies, I hope.

chanchow said...

I remember going to Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. It was the 80s and there was a walking path along the lake with exercise stations for push ups, pull ups, sit ups...

Two Os in Goose said...

If you are toting your IPOD around with you, is there any chance for a "song of the day" on this blog?

EFD said...

I can see Lake Nokomis on the map, but I'm scared of the exercise stations . . . Are there any sites of sentimental interest I should check out, Chanchow?

chanchow said...

Strangely, there really isn't any special place for me in Mpls.

Probably the awesomest thing would be if you saw Prince play some random club in Mpls. Maybe if you ask around, someone will know...

EFD said...

Actually, I saw people lining up to get tickets to the Macy's Prince Experience. They had folding chairs and stuff. That was kind of great in itself.