Friday, May 18, 2007

Progress

Today I got a haircut and bought my train ticket to Seattle. May 22, 10:15 a.m. I would prefer to leave in the dead of night, with Union Station quiet and ghostly and a couple of glasses of wine under my belt, but the line for ticket buying was long (lots of French people trying to cut; general mayhem) so I took what I was given.

The haircut cost $15, and forced me to spend 20 minutes looking at myself in the mirror. I looked old, and a little dissolute. Bags under my eyes. The effect of too much pizza hut and too many mystery stories in my post-employment mode.

But on the subway the mother with four children flirting with a stranger cheered me up. He told her she had a positive vibe. She nodded along, and told a story about a woman she didn't know giving her forty dollars. The children squirmed and stared at each other across the aisles.

3 comments:

Octopus Grigori said...

Today I got a haircut and bought my train ticket to Seattle.

WTF? Isn't this blog titled "Thirty Day Bus Pass"?

The bags under your eyes (if you actually have them) are probably the result of too much sleep. Once you go over the hump of 12 hours or so, you can spiral down into a perpetual state of zombietude.

chanchow said...

don't forget sunscreen, ear plugs and hand sanitizer!

EFD said...

The bus part comes later. The train trip is a transitionary period. Getting my feet wet, that's what I'm doing.

Is that dialoguey enough?

I have the sunscreen, but the hand sanitizer is a good thought. On the other hand, I think this blog could be enhanced by a good bus-related illness.